It’s not too long ago that the Sun and Universe revolved around the Earth. That was the thinking until science and the arts began to see that the data just didn’t line up. Valerie reveals to us how knowledge gained in astronomy and cosmology influenced art and architecture. WATCH this episode, if you can. Having studied at the Universities of Bristol, Manchester and the Witwatersrand (South Africa), Dr Valerie Shrimplin has lectured extensively on Byzantine, Medieval and Renaissance Art and Architecture – and on sixteenth-century history as well. In particular, she has published quite widely on the influence of astronomy and cosmology on art (including her PhD on the influence of Copernican heliocentricity on Michelangelo’s Sistine Last Judgment).
Sponsored by EVLUMA
– Most Recent Conference ‘Under One Sky’ November 2022
– An Art-Historical Approach with Valerie Shrimplin
– Connect with John on Twitter
– Connect with John on LinkedIn
– John Bullock Lighting Design